The Finnish Nature Panel
The Finnish Nature Panel gathers research data on biodiversity for use by decision-makers, experts and citizens. The Finnish Nature Panel is an independent panel of scientific experts that supports nature and biodiversity policy planning and decision-making. We promote dialogue between science and policy by providing information directly to decision-makers and by participating in public debate.
Multidisciplinary panel of scientific experts
The members of the Finnish Nature Panel represent scientific excellence from various disciplines, such as environmental science, ecology, biodiversity research, environmental economics, environmental law, agriculture and forestry, environmental education, health sciences and social and public policy. The panel is chaired by Professor of Ecology Janne Kotiaho from the University of Jyväskylä for the term of office 2020–2023.
Chairs and members of the Finnish Nature Panel
- Janne Kotiaho, Chair of the Finnish Nature Panel, Professor, University of Jyväskylä
- Liisa Kulmala, 1st Vice Chair of the Finnish Nature Panel, Senior Researcher, Finnish Meteorological Institute
- Ilari Sääksjärvi, 2nd Vice Chair of the Finnish Nature Panel, Professor, University of Turku
- Kirsi Pauliina Kallio, 3rd Vice Chair of the Finnish Nature Panel, Professor, University of Tampere
- Lassi Ahlvik, Associate Professor, University of Helsinki
- Christoffer Boström, Associate Professor, Åbo Akademi University
- Jaana Bäck, Professor, University of Helsinki
- Irina Herzon, University Lecturer, University of Helsinki
- Jukka Jokimäki, University Researcher, Arctic Centre at the University of Lapland
- Aleksi Lehikoinen, Senior Curator, Finnish Museum of Natural History
- Tiina Nieminen, Senior Scientist, Natural Resources Institute Finland
- Elina Oksanen, Professor, University of Eastern Finland
- Minna Pappila, Senior Research Scientist, Finnish Environment Institute
- Christopher Raymond, Professor, Helsinki Institute of Sustainability Science (HELSUS)
- Aki Sinkkonen, Researcher, Natural Resources Institute Finland
The members of the Finnish Nature Panel work in higher education institutions and research institutes around Finland, and they work in the panel alongside their own work. The panellists are appointed on the basis of proposals submitted by higher education institutions and research institutes for a four-year term of office at a time. The panellists are introduced in more detail on the Jäsenet page (in Finnish). The work of the Finnish Nature Panel is assisted by staff consisting of a science coordinator, coordinator and communication expert. There are postdoctoral researchers working in the panel’s study projects.
What does the Finnish Nature Panel do?
The Finnish Nature Panel issues statements and recommendations concerning the decision-making in Finnish nature policy and strengthens the multidisciplinary approach to nature issues. The work of the Finnish Nature Panel is based on scientific evidence and multidisciplinary expertise. Reports and statements are published on the panel’s website and provided to decision-makers, the media and other key stakeholders. The role of the Finnish Nature Panel is defined in the Nature Conservation Act, which is currently being amended.
Read more about the work of the Finnish Nature Panel and its ongoing projects in the Työmme section (in Finnish).
The press releases and publications of the Finnish Nature Panel can be found in the Ajankohtaista menu (in Finnish).
Chair of the Finnish Nature Panel
Professor of Ecology, University of Jyväskylä
tel. +358 50 594 6881
tel. +358 50 532 9301
tel. +358 44 355 3692